Respect Life Ministry
The St. Paul Respect Life Team promotes a culture of life, an ethic that life begins at the moment of conception and ends at natural death. We participate in Diocesan sponsored pro-life programs and coordinate parish respect-life activities. Our ministry is guided by our Pastor, Fr. Pat Jakel, and Bishop Paprocki & the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois – Office for Pro Life Activities and Special Ministries in alignment with the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities.
To answer Pope Saint John Paul II’s invitation to work for the protection and reverence for the sanctity of human life, we provide education and awareness on the variety of issues as found in the Gospel of Life including abortion, euthanasia, death penalty, and disabilities according to Church teaching. We advocate for life affirming legislation and share regular legislative updates with Ministry members.
Throughout the calendar year, we coordinate Respect Life activities, such as:
- Recognition and Blessing of mothers on Mother’s Day and fathers on Father’s Day
- Support of local ministries assisting survivors of human trafficking each January and May
- Respect Life Month (each October) with a focus on life issues education & awareness
- Support and participate in local, regional, and national Respect Life activities (e.g., Life Chain, 40 Days for Life™ Campaign, March for Life)
- Monthly participation in “Highland Day” at the Hope Clinic for Women (nearest abortion facility)
- Advent Giving Tree with gifts provided to a pregnancy care / crisis centers, home-bound elderly, residents of local nursing homes, or parishioners in need
- National Night of Prayer for Life (on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception)
For more information or to receive email notifications, please contact Rose Wascher at [email protected]