St. Paul Parish Life
Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Season of Lent. It is a season of penance, reflection, and fasting which prepares us for Christ's Resurrection on Easter Sunday, through which we attain redemption.
February 10---Mass Schedule
(with imposition of ashes)
7:00 am ● 8:20 am ● 7:00 p.m.
Best Lent Ever
Join Matthew Kelly, the best-selling Catholic author in America, on a life-changing journey through your Best Lent Ever. Each week, participants will receive short videos and inspiration from Matthew that explain the genius of Catholicism and empower them to become the best-version-of-themselves. It’s simple and completely FREE.
The only cost is your commitment to live better each day this Lent.
Welcome to St. Paul Catholic Church
Welcome to our St. Paul Parish Website! Since 1844 the Catholic Community of St. Paul Parish has worshiped and followed the Gospel of Jesus Christ here in Highland, Illinois. From our humble beginnings, when Highland was a village of 60 families, we have become a parish family of over 5300 members and 1800 families.
I have been privileged to be a part of Highland’s history for 57 years, having been born and raised in this community. I grew up on a dairy farm 6 miles north of Highland in rural route Pocahontas, near Grantfork, and as a member of St. Gertrude Church, Grantfork, received my sacraments of initiation there. My father attended St. Paul Grade School and my mother attended Immaculate Conception Grade School in Pierron. I never dreamed that I would return to become pastor and shepherd of the Catholic community in which I was raised.
Being one of 10 children I know firsthand what family is all about. Since my arrival as pastor of St. Paul’s on July 1, 2015, devoted parishioners have demonstrated to me how closely knit this parish is as a family. This is exactly what I am accustomed to.
Parishioners of St. Paul’s love Highland and are proud to be a part of the community and invite you to be a part of our community of faith. Please take some time to check out this website and always feel free to visit us anytime. Our doors are always open and our welcome is always extended to you to visit us and worship with us. Perhaps you have been here before, coming for our annual “Kirchenfest” in August, or maybe for a wedding, baptism, or even a funeral.
Come see us and catch the Spirit which inflames our hearts daily to be faithful servants and authentic worshipers of Jesus. Please come and journey with us!
With great humility, Fr. Pat Jakel
Staff (Click on staff member name for photo and contact information)
- Reverend Pat Jakel, Pastor
- Reverend David L. Peters, Retired Pastor
- Deacon Dave Bohnenstiehl, Permanent Deacon
- Mr. Rafal Pyrchla, Seminarian/Acolyte
- Mr. Michael Durbin, Executive Manager & Spiritual Direction Ministry
- Mrs. Jennifer Hilling, Parish Secretary
- Ms. Sheila Weber, Evening Secretary
- Mr. Collin Korte, Weekend Secretary
- Mr. Nolan Scott, Weekend Secretary
- Mrs. Jean Nolte, Finance/Bookkeeping
- Mrs. Connie Knebel, Coordinator of Protecting God's Children
- Mrs. Deanna Harlan, Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation
- Mrs. Mary Lou Meridith, Procurator Advocate
- Mr. Dale Triplett, Maintenance Superintendent
- Mr. Dan Halloran, Maintenance
- Mrs. LuAnn Halloran, Maintenance
- Mr. Steve Waller, Maintenance
- Mrs. Dineen Czar, Liturgical Music Coordinator
- Mr. Sam Schwarztrauber, Adult Choir
- Mrs. Andrea Henze, Contemporary Choir
- Mrs. Joan Riffel, Liturgical Art & Environment
- Mrs. Mia Friederich, Pastoral Council, Chair
- Mr. Howard Held, Finance Council, Chair
- Mr. Jerry Rehkemper, Property Committee, Chair
- Mr. Art Timmermann, Cemetery Board, Chair
7:30, 9:30 and 11:30 am
7:00 am -- Monday thru Thursday
7:00 am -- Wednesday at Hospital Chapel
8:20 am -- Friday (All School Mass)
(8:20 am When No School)
7:00 am, 8:20 am, 7:00 pm (Check Bulletin)
Saturday 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
(Or By Appointment)
(closed for lunch 12:00 - 1:00)
Saturday 10:00 am-- 4:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am--2:00 pm
School Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
Parish News & Events (Calendar)
Interpreter for Hearing Impaired
Did you know.... We have an interpreter at every Saturday night Mass at 5:00 pm for the hearing impaired.
School News & Events
Walking in His Footsteps - 2015-2016 School Year
- 2016 - 2017 School Registration - February 1 - February 26
- Presidents' Day (No School) - February 15, 2016
St. Paul School Staff & Faculty
02/12/16 4:37 pm
of Pope FrancisRead More
02/12/16 3:54 pm
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis has expressed his condolences after a deadly riot in a Mexican prison that left dozens of people dead.
In a telegram addressed to the Archbishop Rogelio Cabrera López, Cardinal Secretary of State Pietro Parolin said the Holy Father was “deeply saddened” by news of the incident, which occurred on the eve of the pontiff’s visit to the country.Read More
02/12/16 2:06 pm
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis has just arrived in the Cuban capital Havana where he will have an historic first meeting with the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill. The Patriarch arrived in Cuba yesterday at the start of a three nation tour of Orthodox communities in Latin America, while Pope Francis is on his way to Mexico City, where he’s scheduled to land at around 7.30 this evening local time.
Cuban President Raul Castro was at Havana’s ‘José Martì’ International airport to meet the papal plane and to accompany Pope Francis to the room where the private encounter is taking place.Read More