Welcome to St. Paul Catholic Church
Welcome to our St. Paul Parish Website! Since 1844 the Catholic Community of St. Paul Parish has worshiped and followed the Gospel of Jesus Christ here in Highland, Illinois. From our humble beginnings, when Highland was a village of 60 families, we have become a parish family of over 5300 members and 1800 families.
I have been privileged to be a part of Highland’s history for 57 years, having been born and raised in this community. I grew up on a dairy farm 6 miles north of Highland in rural route Pocahontas, near Grantfork, and as a member of St. Gertrude Church, Grantfork, received my sacraments of initiation there. My father attended St. Paul Grade School and my mother attended Immaculate Conception Grade School in Pierron. I never dreamed that I would return to become pastor and shepherd of the Catholic community in which I was raised.
Being one of 10 children I know firsthand what family is all about. Since my arrival as pastor of St. Paul’s on July 1, 2015, devoted parishioners have demonstrated to me how closely knit this parish is as a family. This is exactly what I am accustomed to.
Parishioners of St. Paul’s love Highland and are proud to be a part of the community and invite you to be a part of our community of faith. Please take some time to check out this website and always feel free to visit us anytime. Our doors are always open and our welcome is always extended to you to visit us and worship with us. Perhaps you have been here before, coming for our annual “Kirchenfest” in August, or maybe for a wedding, baptism, or even a funeral.
Come see us and catch the Spirit which inflames our hearts daily to be faithful servants and authentic worshipers of Jesus. Please come and journey with us!
With great humility, Fr. Pat Jakel
Parish Staff (Click on staff member name for photo and contact information)
- Reverend Pat Jakel, Pastor
- Msgr. David L. Peters, Retired Pastor
- Deacon Dave Bohnenstiehl, Permanent Deacon
- Mr. Rafal Pyrchla, Seminarian/Acolyte
- Mrs. Lorraine Senci, Pastoral Associate for Pastoral Care and Spirituality
- Mr. Michael Durbin, Executive Manager & Spiritual Direction Ministry
- Mr. Ron Knapp, Pastoral Associate for Youth and Catechist Formation
- Ms. Laurie Scott, Administrative Assistant
- Mrs. Jennifer Hilling, Parish Secretary
- Mr. Collin Korte, Weekend Secretary
- Mr. Nolan Scott, Weekend Secretary
- Mrs. Jean Nolte, Finance/Bookkeeping
- Mrs. Connie Knebel, Coordinator of Protecting God's Children
- Mrs. Deanna Harlan, Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation
- Mrs. Mary Lou Meridith, Procurator Advocate
- Mr. Dale Triplett, Maintenance Superintendent
- Mr. Dan Halloran, Maintenance
- Mrs. LuAnn Halloran, Maintenance
- Mr. Steve Waller, Maintenance
- Mrs. Dineen Czar, Liturgical Music Coordinator
- Mr. Sam Schwarztrauber, Adult Choir
- Mrs. Andrea Henze, Contemporary Choir
- Mrs. Joan Riffel, Liturgical Art & Environment
- Mr. Terry Zeisset, Pastoral Council, Chair
- Mr. Howard Held, Finance Council, Chair
- Mr. Jerry Rehkemper, Property Committee, Chair
- Mr. Jay Korte, Cemetery Board, Chair
Ministry Scheduler Pro
(closed for lunch 12:00 - 1:00)
Saturday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
School Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
St. Paul Parish Life
Sunday: 7:30, 9:30 and 11:30 am
7:00 am -- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
7:00 am -- Wednesday at Hospital Chapel
8:20 am -- Friday
Holy Days: 7:00 am, 8:20 am, 7:00 pm
Reconciliation: Saturday 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm
(Or By Appointment)
Interpreter for Hearing Impaired
Did you know.... We have an interpreter at every Saturday night Mass at 5:00 pm for the hearing impaired.
St. Paul School Staff & Faculty
School News & Events
BY OUR WORKS WE SHOW OUR FAITH
May 18 - Graduation at 7:00
May 25 - Student Appreciation Day
May 26 - Last Day of School with 11:30 dismissal
Click here for the Viking Basketball Camp Registration Flyer
05/26/17 9:59 am
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis met on Friday with the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity who are holding their 12th General Chapter in Rome this month. The theme of their assembly is focused on the need “to give oneself completely to God, to be completely given to one’s neighbour: missionary disciples and joyful witnesses to charity in the suburbs of the world”.
Listen to our report:Read More
05/26/17 9:12 am
(Vatican Radio) The Christian’s place is in the world, in order to proclaim Jesus; but his gaze is turned to heaven in order to be united to Him: that was the message of Pope Francis at the morning Mass at the Casa Santa Marta on Friday.
Galilee, the place of the first encounter with JesusRead More
05/25/17 9:54 am
(Vatican Radio) On Saturday, May 27th, Pope Francis will travel to the northern Italian city of Genoa for a one-day apostolic visit.
One of the highlights of the day will undoubtedly be represented by his meeting with sick children and their families in the “Giannina Gaslini” Paediatric Hospital.Read More