Men's Retreat at King's House
Welcome to St. Paul Catholic Church
Welcome to our St. Paul Parish Website! Since 1844 the Catholic Community of St. Paul Parish has worshiped and followed the Gospel of Jesus Christ here in Highland, Illinois. From our humble beginnings, when Highland was a village of 60 families, we have become a parish family of over 5300 members and 1800 families.
I have been privileged to be a part of Highland’s history for 57 years, having been born and raised in this community. I grew up on a dairy farm 6 miles north of Highland in rural route Pocahontas, near Grantfork, and as a member of St. Gertrude Church, Grantfork, received my sacraments of initiation there. My father attended St. Paul Grade School and my mother attended Immaculate Conception Grade School in Pierron. I never dreamed that I would return to become pastor and shepherd of the Catholic community in which I was raised.
Being one of 10 children I know firsthand what family is all about. Since my arrival as pastor of St. Paul’s on July 1, 2015, devoted parishioners have demonstrated to me how closely knit this parish is as a family. This is exactly what I am accustomed to.
Parishioners of St. Paul’s love Highland and are proud to be a part of the community and invite you to be a part of our community of faith. Please take some time to check out this website and always feel free to visit us anytime. Our doors are always open and our welcome is always extended to you to visit us and worship with us. Perhaps you have been here before, coming for our annual “Kirchenfest” in August, or maybe for a wedding, baptism, or even a funeral.
Come see us and catch the Spirit which inflames our hearts daily to be faithful servants and authentic worshipers of Jesus. Please come and journey with us!
With great humility, Fr. Pat Jakel
Parish Staff (Click on staff member name for photo and contact information)
- Reverend Pat Jakel, Pastor
- Reverend David L. Peters, Retired Pastor
- Deacon Dave Bohnenstiehl, Permanent Deacon
- Mr. Rafal Pyrchla, Seminarian/Acolyte
- Mrs. Lorraine Senci, Pastoral Associate for Pastoral Care and Spirituality
- Mr. Michael Durbin, Executive Manager & Spiritual Direction Ministry
- Mr. Ron Knapp, Pastoral Associate for Youth and Catechist Formation
- Ms. Laurie Scott, Administrative Assistant
- Mrs. Jennifer Hilling, Parish Secretary
- Mr. Collin Korte, Weekend Secretary
- Mr. Nolan Scott, Weekend Secretary
- Mrs. Jean Nolte, Finance/Bookkeeping
- Mrs. Connie Knebel, Coordinator of Protecting God's Children
- Mrs. Deanna Harlan, Pastoral Associate for Faith Formation
- Mrs. Mary Lou Meridith, Procurator Advocate
- Mr. Dale Triplett, Maintenance Superintendent
- Mr. Dan Halloran, Maintenance
- Mrs. LuAnn Halloran, Maintenance
- Mr. Steve Waller, Maintenance
- Mrs. Dineen Czar, Liturgical Music Coordinator
- Mr. Sam Schwarztrauber, Adult Choir
- Mrs. Andrea Henze, Contemporary Choir
- Mrs. Joan Riffel, Liturgical Art & Environment
- Mr. Terry Zeisset, Pastoral Council, Chair
- Mr. Howard Held, Finance Council, Chair
- Mr. Jerry Rehkemper, Property Committee, Chair
- Mr. Jay Korte, Cemetery Board, Chair
St. Paul Parish Life
7:30, 9:30 and 11:30 am
7:00 am -- Monday thru Thursday
7:00 am -- Wednesday at Hospital Chapel
8:20 am -- Friday (throughout entire year)
7:00 am, 8:20 am, 7:00 pm (Check Bulletin)
Saturday 3:30 pm - 4:00 pm
(Or By Appointment)
(closed for lunch 12:00 - 1:00)
Saturday 9:00 am-- 1:00 pm
Sunday 9:00 am--1:00 pm
School Office Hours:
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
St. Paul School Staff & Faculty
School News & Events
BY OUR WORKS WE SHOW OUR FAITH
Monday, January 16 - No School ( Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
Friday, January 27 - St. Paul Catholic School Annual Dinner Auction
Sunday, January 29 - Catholic Schools Week Kick Off Mass at 9:30 and Learning Fair in the school from 12:30 until 2:30.
The 2017 St. Paul Catholic School Dinner Auction will be held on Friday, January 27. Reservations may be made by contacting the school office at 654-7525 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interpreter for Hearing Impaired
Did you know.... We have an interpreter at every Saturday night Mass at 5:00 pm for the hearing impaired.
01/16/17 7:10 am
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Monday received in audience Prof. Alpha Condé, President of the Republic of Guinea.
The leader of the West African nation also met with the Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, and with the Vatican Secretary for Relations with States, Archbishop Paul Gallagher.Read More
01/15/17 1:25 pm
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis said Mass at the Roman parish of Saint Mary in Setteville on Sunday afternoon. The Holy Father made a pastoral visit to the parish, leaving the Vatican at 3PM Rome Time, and spending the afternoon with parishioners, clergy and staff.
The visit featured moments with the sick of the parish, including a private meeting with one of the parish curates, don Giuseppe Berardino, who suffers from ALS – with the children and young people in the parish’s catechetical programmes – with the parents fo children baptized during the course of the past year – and with parishioners who contribute to Santa Maria’s pastoral outreach initiatives.Read More
01/15/17 8:42 am
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis prayed the Angelus with pilgrims and tourists gathered in St. Peter’s Square on Sunday. In remarks ahead of the traditional prayer of Marian devotion, the Holy Father focused on the witness borne by John the Baptist to Jesus Christ.
“The Church,” said Pope Francis, “is in every age called to do that, which John the Baptist did: to show Jesus to the people, saying, “Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!”Read More