Protecting God's Children
The U.S. Bishop's Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People established a standard of behavior and code of conduct for all personnel working with minors. This will help the Church's role as a child-safe environment by making all personnel aware and empowering adults and parents to protect children. It is important for all Church personnel be aware of the responsibilities that accompany parish life and work.
June 8, 2012 our diocese, under the direction of +Bishop Thomas John Paprocki, mandated ALL Church personnel attend a PGC session and have a background check completed.
Who must attend a Protecting God's Children session? ALL CHURCH PERSONNEL
Who are Church personnel? -
"Within the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois, Church personnel includes:
- all priests and deacons incardinated in the Diocese and in good standing;
- other priests and deacons who have the faculties of the Diocese;
- all religious (members of institutes of consecrated life and societies of apostolic life);
- lay persons employed full-time or part-time in the parishes, schools, agencies and other institutions in the Diocese;
- and all religious and lay persons 18 years of age and older serving in ANY volunteer capacity in the parishes, schools, agencies and other institutions of the diocese of Springfield in Illinois to include volunteers in ministries of the liturgy (i.e., Eucharistic Ministers of Holy Communion, Lectors, Ushers, Greeters/Hospitality, Choir members, musicians and equipment technicians), volunteering in the parishes, schools, agencies, and other institutions of the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois."
The one time session does not have to be repeated, the background check must be repeated/updated every 5 years.
This year's sessions will be held :
Registration is REQUIRED. To register, you must call the parish office at 654-2339.